There was a reptile park in the zoo:
I found the description of reptiles written in a board in the reptile park:
What are reptiles?
- Reptiles ruled the land, sky and the sea for over 150 million years.
- They are vertebrate animals with backbones.
- Cold blooded i.e. their body temperature changes with change in surrounding temperature.
- They have a dry, rough and scaly skin to protect them from harsh climatic conditions.
- Lay strong leathery eggs, that prevents it from drying out even in the desert heat.
- The birds evolved from small dinosaur type reptiles over 150 million years.
Russell’s viper (Vipera russelli): Found in hills and plains throughout India. Also, found in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Indo-China region. The third of the famous four poisonous snakes found in India. Can grow up to 6 feet in length. These fat snakes with triangular head are found in termite mounds, rock crevices, thick leaves, plantations, thorn bushes, and cacti. Feed mainly on rats, other snakes, lizards, crabs, scorpions, birds, etc. When provoked they are capable of fast movements. Females gives birth to 20-60 young ones (viviparous). The venom affects the blood.
Reticulated python (Python reticulatus): Found in India and in South East Asia. It is found in Assam and Nicobar islands. The longest non-venomous snake in the world. Can grow up to 10 meters and weigh up to 113 kgs. They mainly feed on deers, birds and even wild boar. Lays 60-100 eggs which hatch after 35-80 days.