Photos of Engine Hall:
- Aircraft engine sectioned: A 9-cylinder single row radial aircraft engine, model Hornet S4D2, developing 650 h.p. air cooled.manufactured by Pratt and Witney Aircraft Co. USA.
- Diesel Engine Automobile Sectioned: It is a four stroke, compression ignition (CI) 6 cylinder water cooled diesel engine. It is provided with a hemispherical auxiliary combustion chamber in which an inclined fuel nozzle is located and a heater or glow plug for cold starting purposes is located below the nozzle. The combustion chamber communicates with the cylinder head by a small neck or passage. Runs on light diesel and is used on 7-ton Tata Mercedes Benz truck chassis. Maximum BHP 110 at 3000 RPM. Transmission gear box has provision for 5 forward speeds and one reverse. Manufactured by Tata Engineering and locomotive Co. Ltd. Donated by Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co. Ltd.
- Left Two Stroke diesel engine and Right Four stroke diesel engine: The operating cycle is similar to the two stroke petrol engine. Two stroke of piston ie. one revolution of the crank shaft are necessary for a complete cycle.Four stroke diesel engine: The operating cycle is similar to the four stroke petrol engine. Four strokes of piston ie. two revolutions of the crank shaft are necessary for a complete cycle.
- Petrol engine 4 stroke sectioned model: The most usual type of engine the four stroke cycle internal combustion engine is so called because it does it’s work in a sequence of four strokes of the piston in its cylinder. They are: 1) the suction stroke, 2) the compression stroke, 3) the power stroke and the 4) exhaust stroke. This engine is provided with overhead valve and is water cooled.
- The spark plug: The spark plug provides the electrodes in the combustion chamber at which the high voltage produces the spark for igniting the mixture.The electrical resistance of a spark plug depends on the nature and the compression of the fuel mixture and upon the distance between the electrodes, called the gap. This gap is adjusted to recommend specifications by bending the ground electrode. It is measure with a feeler gage. Too large or too small a spark plug gap reduces the efficiency of the entire ignition system, which in turn causes losses in engine power and operating efficiency.