After the coracle ride, again we were on the land and this time the boatman said that we are in Karnataka. So, on one side of the river, its Tamil Nadu and the other side its Karnataka. As we walked we found many huts and people staying over there:
Amazingly the boatman was carrying the coracle and with him. It looks heavy but it isn’t. Then, we arrived at place where people were selling fish fries and chips. From there I took a nice shot of the hills:
Lucky said that she’s very hungry and I took one fish fry for Rs. 20. Wow, the fish was so fresh and tasty!
After that once again the boatman placed the coracle and we went to the other side. The boatman said that this would be the Main falls. Well, by the word Main I assumed that it would definitely be bigger and better than those we saw till that time. We got down from the coracle and I heard the sound of falling water. The ground was very slippery and it was difficult to walk. I saw that the boatman was walking nicely and he wasn’t wearing any footwear. Wow that was cool, I took out my sandals and started walking, and that was much easier. Finally the sound of the water was increasing and I felt that the waterfall was very close by. After some time I reached there. The view was breathtaking, I have never seen bigger falls than that. The water was falling from a great height and the sound was mesmerizing. Taking shots at that place was not so easy. There were slippery rocks all over the place. After taking 4-5 junk shots I finally took this one:
Then, I took this video:
Believe me guys it was truly a treat to watch. We sat there for about half an hour and came back. Again we took the coracle to go back to the place from where we started. This time I asked him to take a spin of the coracle. Payel was very much scared and she was screaming. Then, on the other boat the boatman started spinning the coracle. Well, Sailaja was having fun:
Our coracle trip was over and I checked the time it was 4.30 pm. Well, we spent more than 3 hours over there and I felt as if it was just an hour or so. I asked the boatman how much I have to pay and he said that Rs. 1000. I agreed as it was worth for two boats. Then, we went quickly to a nearby restaurant, as everyone was very hungry. We ordered fish fry and rice. The fish fry was again delicious. Arunava even asked if they have the home delivery service. 🙂 After a nice lunch we got ready for going back to Bangalore. On the way we stopped for a while, as there were clouds on top of the hill. It was looking like an erupting volcano, only the difference was instead of lava there were clouds:
After that we moved non-stop till we reached Bangalore at 9 pm. It was a nice one-day trip and I have a few tips for you:
- Make sure you go in the right season. The maximum flow will be in monsoon but you have to check the flood situation and all. If there is a flood alert, the pathway to the waterfall is sealed and tourists are not allowed to visit the falls. The best time to visit is from October to November.
- If you are a vegetarian carry something for lunch, as I did not see good vegetarian meals over there.
- The boatman may ask you more money for the coracle ride. Its actually tricky, if you got it for cheap make sure he takes you to the Main falls and not just a round because if you miss the Main falls, the trip won’t be complete.
- The rocks are very slippery. Be careful.
- And last but not the least, taste the fish fry, its delicious 🙂
For more photos of Hogenakkal Falls, click here.
Here are some more videos: